Protect Your Furry Friend! Learn About Five Common Household Dangers for Pets
As we commemorate National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, our crew wants to draw attention to some of the most prevalent household products that can be toxic for your furry friends.
Pets, especially food-motivated dogs, can be prone to snatching up dropped pills before their owners have time to do so. Additionally, they may scour for pill bottles in visitors’ luggage or on countertops which could lead to an overdose of medication and possibly death if left unchecked. Thus it is important that you contact your local animal poison control hotline as soon as possible if you believe your pet has ingested any medications.
The kitchen is an inviting place for your pet, but it’s riddled with potential health dangers. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough and alcohol are among the most hazardous foods that can lead to everything from kidney failure to seizures in pets. It would be wise to keep your pet out of the kitchen while you’re cooking; invest in a locking trash can so curious noses don’t discover anything dangerous.
#3: Household chemicals
To keep your beloved pet safe and sound, it is essential to lock up all hazardous chemicals. Ingesting even small amounts of these everyday substances can be dangerous for animals, so make sure the following are tucked away securely:
- Cleaning products
- Aerosol air fresheners and other products
- Windshield washer fluid
- Nail polish remover
Numerous houseplants and their respective fertilizers can be detrimental to your pet’s health, with lilies being particularly hazardous to cats. Even just brushing against the pollen can prove fatal! Other plants you should take heed of include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants; as well as outdoor varieties such as ivy and oleander. To avoid a potentially deadly situation for your furry family member(s), peruse the ASPCA’s list of toxic plants before purchasing any bouquets or adding greenery to your garden.
#5: Batteries and coins
Consuming batteries or coins can cause severe metal poisoning, while chewing and puncturing a battery could damage your pet with chemical burns. Completely swallowed batteries are even more dangerous, as they form an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.
If you believe your pet has been exposed to anything hazardous, reach out to us without hesitation. Prompt action is essential in these cases – don’t wait!